Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fixing a Nexus 7

A couple of weeks ago, my Nexus 7 went into the sink while I was washing up. Despite my best efforts, I couldn't save it. About a year ago, a colleague dropped his Nexus 7 and smashed the screen. He was kind enough to give me that old tablet this week.

Thanks to http://www.ifixit.com, swapping the screens was fairly straightforward. I actually made it harder for myself because I read their full teardown and peeled back a lot of sticky copper shielding that I could have just left alone if I'd noticed they had an article for just replacing the display. Anyway, those guys are awesome. I was able to fix the speaker in another phone last year because of them, go buy some of their repair kits.

Here's what the insides of 2 Nexus 7s looks like :)

Also, well done Asus for making it fairly easy for me and my fat fingers to do this.

If anyone needs any help attempting the same thing, let me know.

No comments: